Logging, Metric, and Automation
Fine-tune your application's performance and reliability with advanced techniques in logging, metrics, and automation.
~ 2 min read
Monitoring error logs are essential as they help to identify errors and problems in the system. You can monitor error logs at the server level or use tools to aggregate them to a centralized service for easy search and viewing.
Collecting different types of metrics help us to gain business insights and understand the system's health status. Some of the following are useful.
- Host level metrics: CPU, memory, disk I/O, etc.
- Aggregate level metrics: E.g., the performance of the entire database tier, cache tier, etc.
- Key business metrics: Daily active users, retention, revenue, etc.
When the system gets bugs and is complex, we need to build or leverage automation tools to improve productivity. Continuous Integration is a good practice in which each code check-in is verified through automation. Allow teams to detect problems early. Besides, automating your build, tests, deploy process, etc., could improve developer productivity significantly.
- A design includes a message queue, which helps to make a system more loosely coupled and failure resilient.
- Logging: monitoring, metrics, and automation tools are included.
Do you have any questions, or simply wish to contact me privately? Don't hesitate to shoot me a DM on Twitter.
Have a wonderful day.